Transfer of Residence
Baggage Rules 2006
Duty Free Allowance
Cars & Motorcycles
Gold & Silver Import
Import Jewellery
Tobacco and Alcohol
Animals and Plants
Retrun After 3/6/12 Months
Tourists Coming to India
Foreign Currency
Indian Currency
Baggage of deceased
Unaccompanied Baggage
Mishandled Baggage
Duty Rates
Green and Red Channels
Prohibited Items
Depreciation Rates
Professional Equipment
Carnet and Triptique
International Movers
move 2 india, move to india, moving to india, moving 2 india, return to india, return 2 india, relocate to india, relocate 2 india
2 India
Moving to India easier than ever..
Indian citizens and foreign nationals who are moving to India can transfer their personal effects and household goods free of any duty payment subject to the following specifications:

- The owner of the goods should have lived overseas for at least 2 years and must be shifting his/her residence to India.

- If Indian nationals, they should not have visited India for more than 180 days in the preceding two years.

- The goods must have been in the possession of the importer or his/her family for at least a year.

- Foreign nationals must present valid visa upon arrival of the shipment.

- Imports by non-residents only permitted if they enter India for a stay of not less than 24 hours and not more than 6 months, provided they visit India not more than once a month.

- Goods will have to be shipped out within 30 days of the owner arriving in India (it takes 8 weeks to ship goods to India from USA) - in the event of a delay, goods can be cleared only if the customs clear the delay. Such being the situation, every case is decided on individual merits.

- The owner has to be present during customs clearance and therefore, the owner should have reached India before the shipment arrives or else end up paying heavy demurrage/container detention charges.

- There used to be a compulsory one-year-stay-in-India condition for claiming of Transfer of Residence duty benefits but that has now been done away with. Importers can now leave the country anytime after claiming TR concessions.
Copy rights 2009 Move2India.Com All Rights Reserved